La Chapelle de la Mission Haut-Brion
Produced in small quantities, this second wine is a gateway to the world of Château La Mission Haut-Brion. Its name is a nod to the chapel of La Mission Haut-Brion, built by Lazarist priests in 1698.
After a dry winter that lasted through the month of May, June very damp. The flowering was long and varied. A large crop was in the offing in spite of coulure (the washing away of the pollen) and millerandage (the poor development of the grapes due to poor fertilization). July and August were very hot with rain prevailing in the latter. This caused worrisome sanitary conditions. Botrytis and mildew were brought about due to heat and damp. The vintage was saved simply because of meticulous and continuous work executed by the wine makers.
A few figures
From September 17th to October 8th
Merlot: 68 %
Cabernet Sauvignon: 32%
From May 24th to 27th 1994